Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Todays Adventure

Class this week was rough, to put it mildly. My chocolate class was a mess. My teacher thoroughly believes in the trial by fire method and I seem to be doing OK in my sugar class but not so much in my chocolate class. I worked for the entire 5 hours on my chocolate structure only to have it crumble at the very last minute. My teacher was totally unfazed by it because it happens to everyone, even professionals, but I was DEVASTATED. We cleaned the kitchen and then left and I tried not to cry the entire way home. It was definitely a day that made me question my chosen career.
Then tonight I was reassured that I am doing the right thing. It was my sugar class. We had 4 hours to make at least 1 rose and some kind of sculpture. It certainly wasn't easy but I was so happy that I was able to get it done. Luckily, we are no longer working as teams in that class because the girl I am teamed up with really struggles and I end up doing all of the work. Me no likey.
There are extremely weird people in my class and I have to tell you about two of them specifically. One of them we will just call T. I have no idea why she decided to take the sugar class because she never does anything in it. Literally. She just boils and burns her sugar the whole class and never makes a project. We don't use normal sugar, it is a special kind called Isomalt, which is extremely expensive, and I am not exaggerating when I say that she wastes at least $45-$50 each class. And, she is heinously oblivious to things. My point coming soon. Then we have Erin. Erin is a 19 year old girl who swims around the teachers colon all day long and feels that she knows everything about everything. I cannot stand this girl. I have on many occasions asked her to not speak to me unless she can remember that she is not my mother. The thing with Erin is that for some reason I ALWAYS call her and refer to her as Heather. I have absolutely no idea. I will even call across the classroom to get her and yell Heather and get frustrated that she doesn't answer until my stupid self realizes that its not her name! Anyway, the point of my story. Erin and T were working at the same table and T burned her sugar and started to pour it into a mold directly on a stainless steel table. If she left it there the sugar that overlapped would have to be scraped for hours to get it off the table and the mold would take forever to cool down. So, Erin-Heather, thinking that she would help this hot mess of a girl, grabbed the mold and started to pull it on to a silpat(silicone mat). T, apparently thinking that Erin-Heather has hands of steel kept pouring the molten lava sugar onto the mold and Erin-Heathers hands giving her 2ND degree burns!!! T, didn't even know what she had done wrong at first. That's how clueless she is. So, I'm watching all of this happen in a 3 second time frame and start to holler for the teacher that Heather has been hurt badly. The teacher had no idea who I was talking about and then I looked like an ass and had to say, again, that I don't know why I call her Heather. Erin ran to a container of ice water and had tears pouring down her face. We ended up calling an ambulance and she had to leave. I cant stand the chick but I was sad that she got hurt so badly. It goes to show how important paying attention and working cleanly is. Anyway, here is the picture of my sculpture. I definitely need more practice but for the first time, its not so bad.


5 comments:

i said...

another post!? what a sweet treat!

that's a sad story...even for someone whom is annoying.

hope she's o.k....and quits the class for your sake at least.

Stacie said...

Wow! That is quite the drama! So what did T do when she realized the seriousness of her stupidity?

Who says school can't be fun?!?

PookaB said...

Erin-Heather? That is hilarious! At least you and the teacher won't have to pull her out of your colons anytime soon!

Minna and Matt Pedersen said...

Wow... sounds very painful! I love the Erin-Heather thing!!

lilmegmo said...

The teacher had to pull T into the back dish room twice to have a talk with her. Something tells me that she is going to get kicked out of class. She doesnt really understand what she did wrong, and i think thats the main problem